Biblical Principles in Politics
Billy Graham recently put full-page advertisements in various newspapers urging people to vote on the basis of biblical principles. He mentions two: the sanctity of life and the definition of marriage being between a man and a woman. He also urges voters to support candidates who support the nation of Israel.
We believe there are other biblical principles that are relevant to politics. To say that there are only two or three does a grave injustice to the biblical record. Below is a list of other concerns we believe are relevant to the sanctity of life and the quality of life.*
(1) International peace
(2) Equal treatment of racial minorities
(3) Equal treatment of women and men
(4) Poverty in the United States and other countries
(5) Capital punishment
(6) Torture of political prisoners
(7) Justice for Palestine and Arab nations
(8) Concern for non-combatants in war
(9) Stewardship of the environment
(10) Equal opportunities for health care
(11) Crime and incarceration
(12) Human trafficking
Whatever else you may believe, we urge you to support candidates who uphold these twelve concerns. And, in the words of Billy Graham, please join us in praying for America, that we will turn our hearts back toward God.
* Not listed in any particular order.
To see the ads, click here: http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2012/october-web-only/billy-graham-political-statements-history.html
The institution with which we are affiliated—Trinity International University in Deerfield, Illinois—does not endorse any particular candidates.
Posted November 1, 2012